[6pack] Engine rear seal

Cris Hemingway cris_tr6 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 26 09:14:24 MDT 2011

Add one more possibility to the list -  On my car, at startup after a complete
engine rebuild I would get oil weeping from the hole in the bottom of the bell
housing.  Investigation revealed that the plug at the back end of the oil
galley had not been properly installed by the guys who hot tanked and honed
the block for me.  It was literally the only part on that engine that I didn't
either check or install myself.
It was like your leak, just enough to be annoying but not critical to fix.
When I finally got tired of it, it took about 2 hours to drop the tranny,
clutch flywheel and backing plate, 5 minutes t remove the plug, clean up the
threads, put some thread sealant on it and re-install.  Another 2 hours had
things back together, no more drips on the driveway!Lesson Learned.

Cris Hemingway