[6pack] Engine rear seal

Robert M. Lang lang at isis.mit.edu
Tue Sep 20 10:00:52 MDT 2011

Hi,

You're not the only one that's ever had a leaky real seal. Trust me on
that. In addition to the comments that I've seen so far (copper washer on
the real seal casting), you should also check to make sure that the crank
doesn't have a groove in it where the seal rides. You should also make
sure that you don't have a lot of cylinder leak-down, as this will cause
oil leaks in the wierdest places. Also note that it is possible to have
the rear seal mis-aligned which can be the source of leaks.

Last, make sure the problem is really the rear seal. I know this sounds
obvious, but  a lot of times you get leaks from the spin-on filter
adapters and the back of the valve cover and the oil drips down the back
of the engine and it looks like the rear seal is the source. You can use a
UV dye to figure out where the leak source is.

Old cars - lots o fuN!

rml