[6pack] Tire info request

Vance Navarrette v.navarrette at comcast.net
Fri Mar 11 21:30:11 MST 2011

	Bruce:

	I have found that 205 tires are hazardous to your sheet metal with a
stock suspension. If you cramp the wheels (for example when backing out of a
driveway) and then hit a bump, the tread can snag the sheet metal lip on the
front fenders. The result will be a bent lip and a chunk of paint about the
size of a quarter missing on the edge of the wheel well. The damage is
clearly visible from the side of the car.
	I recommend no wider than 195 section width for this reason.

	Of course if your suspension is modified, then this may not apply.
Lots of people will tell you that they run 215 tires with no problems but
that does not mean you will not. The key here is a stock suspension,
cramping the wheels, hitting a bump. It may also make a difference which
tire you fit to your wheels (I am running Yokohama Avids 205/70-15). You may
not have this problem, but I have had it, and others have reported it. I had
to straighten the metal and repaint. If you have new paint like I did, you
will be wishing you had opted for slightly narrower tires.

	Also be aware that the wider the tire the higher the steering
effort. Wide tires look cool, but are not necessarily the best choice for
the car.

	Cheers,

	Vance