[6pack] Wear of a cam and cam-followers

Sally or Dick Taylor tr6taylor at webtv.net
Fri Mar 4 12:57:18 MST 2011

Pim---You didn't mention what caused the "click" in your valve train, so I'll assume you got rid of it by making a lash adjustment.

It's difficult to get a good measurement of cam lobe wear with the cam still in the block, but using a dummy pushrod for the check might show something. You may be luckier than your friend, if your cam came from better stock. Proper cam break in and good oil also play a huge part in keeping the lobes in good shape.
As another type of check, look for metallic shavings by using a magnetic drain plug. Nothing can be certain here without a teardown, but I wouldn't do so without good evidence. If damage has started, it should be contained in the cam and lobes, so the rest of the engine isn't necessarly at risk.

Dick
'73
Los Angeles