[6pack] Wear of a cam and cam-followers

Pim Alferink pim.alferink at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 08:29:09 MST 2011

Listers,
Two years ago both my friend and I put in a new TH12 cam + followers.
The cars ran/run great with good torque and decent idle. Both put on about
9k miles after the overhaul.
My valve train developed a clicking noise last year which is now gone, but
since it is currently being spray-painted I cannot check the engine at the
moment.
My friends car started running "odd" last year and it turns out at least two
exhaust camlobes are gone (already seen by measuring reduced valve lift, but
now very clear now the camshaft is out of the engine) and two others don't
look good either. Several cam-followers are severely pitted.

Soon I'll be measuring valve lift on my car. If not good, OK I know what to
do. But what is collective wisdom, should I take my camshaft and cam
followers out even if valve lifts do not suggest wear?

Pim - Pimento '73