[6pack] Reconditioned Gauges Not Behaving

Corbitt, Michael Michael_Corbitt at ous.edu
Thu Jul 21 13:21:59 MDT 2011

I recently had all my gauges reconditioned by West Valley.  Morris does
beautiful work and was great to work with.  I have problems with two of the
gauges (fuel and Amp meter) that I want to run by this group before I call
Morris just in case the issue has a simple solution.  I did not have these
problems before the gauges were reconditioned and re-installed.

Fuel Gauge:  When the ignition switch is on, the needle goes from empty to
just past full and stays there.  Once, the needle moved to the correct
location based on the amount of gas in the tank but stayed there only a couple
of minutes.

AMP meter:  The needle on the AMP meter sits full to the right in the
discharge area when the ignition key is off.   When the switch is turned on,
the needle moves to the middle of the gauge but rests a little to the
discharge side.

Last Sunday, I did a long drive (350 miles) with the lights on the entire time
and I didn't notice any battery/charging issues.  When the lights were turned
on the needle would twitch a little, but not move noticeably otherwise.  Turn
signals had no impact on the needle.   Can I assume my problem is in the AMP
meter?    If it's a problem with the meter, can these be taken apart and
fixed, or when they go bad do you just buy another?

When I installed the refurbished  gauges, I re-attached the wires as they had
been and I have double-checked this against my Bentley diagrams a second time.
Any thought on what may be happening here?

All feedback appreciated.

Mike

Corvallis, OR