[6pack] Free spinning fan-follow up

Alex ambritts at bellsouth.net
Mon May 31 18:29:36 MDT 2010

For those who remember this post of my from February, here's the outcome of
my findings. My initial schedule of a week or two turned out to be a month
or three.

I finally got around to pulling the radiator, fan and examining what was
going on with my free spinning fan.

After going through all that is required to pull the radiator (with an A/C
system) I discovered that the fan, adapter and fan extension was free
spinning on the crankshaft. The pulley to crank bolt was tight, so my
initial concern was that the 2 pins that engage the pulley and damper had
sheared off.

Turned out the pins had back out of the pulley & damper, and caused the fan
extension (red fan) to just spin. The bottom of the pins were flush with the
base of the fan extension. The fan would not have come off because the bolt
head kept it on.

I pushed out the 2 pins and reset them in the fan extension. It appeared
that the pins would not come out through the fan holes because the hole was
smaller on the outer part of the housing.

Put it all back together, and everything is fine. This is not to say that
the pins will not back out again. I'll keep everyone posted should they back
out again. I guess one thing to do would have been to measure the length of
the pins and match them against the length of new pins.

Alex Manzo
72 TR6 (back on the road)