[6pack] Miss Off Idle

Irv Korey ikorey at comcast.net
Wed May 12 06:37:10 MDT 2010

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 4:06 PM, michael lunsford <mblunsfordsr at yahoo.com>wrote:

> I have been trying to diagnose a miss a friend/club member has on his 74
> TR6.
> The car is stock with the carbs recently rebuilt by a reputable local LBC
> shop
> and later rechecked by them.  The car runs fine except on take off from a
> stop
> after it has warmed up.  The miss disappears when he uses the choke or
> throttle to keep the rpms at around 1500.   Fuel supply problems?  Dizzy
> problem??  Looking for help from my fellow listers.

My 74 always did this when new, except when stuck in traffic and the coolant
temperature came up. The 74 "features" a sensor on
the top radiator hose that caused the vacuum retard on the dizzy to be
bypassed when the coolant got to a certain
temperature. When this activated, the timing advanced, the idle picked up a
couple hundred rpm, and the miss went away. A good running
TR6 was more important to me than low emissions, so I ended up advancing the
timing from the emissions setting (4 degrees ATDC) to
about 8 degrees before, and my miss went away forever. And I still passed
all of my emissions tests (now no longer required, YAY!).

HTH,

Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U
Highland Park, IL