[6pack] Transmission internal pressure question

Ken Davis ken at azkiwis.com
Sun May 2 07:33:50 MDT 2010

Mark,
I had this happen to me about 10 years ago when the trans and J drive were
rebuilt.  Mine is a 73, so is probably not much different from yours.

My problem was a v. small vent hole was blocked; so yes, the tranny does
have a vent hole, and yes, yours is probably blocked.

The bad news... You're going to have to fix it; the good news, it doesn't
require a tranny removal.

Now, my nomenclature of things is probably wrong, but here goes.

Take the seats out and the tranny tunnel cover off.  The shifter assembly,
big long thing on top of the tranny is the guy you're after.  I don't
remember exactly where, so get a light and get looking.  There is a small -
maybe 14guage wire size, vent hole at the very front of it,  It's just a
hole, no trim, attachments or what ever to identify it.  I seem to remember
it's on the top left, maybe about 1 inch in.  Took a while to find it, but I
did.  Used a small jewellers type screw driver and reamed it open by
twisting it as I pushed it down.   I put the drivers seat back in loosely
and went for a drive (bit wierd seeing the road etc down there) until it
warmed up and I verified there were no other leaks.  Then wiped off the
excess oil, cleared the hole one more time, and it's been fine for 10 years.

IIRC, I'm using 75-80 or so in it.  I've heard everything from this through
40wt, 30wt, and synthetic.  I'll do mine to a thinner oil, "one of these
days", but in the desert it doesn't make much difference.

Hope this helps you a bit

Ken
73 TR6
Sonoran Desert, AZ