[6pack] Differential Carrier Bearing Shims

brian at asmoothmove.biz brian at asmoothmove.biz
Wed Jun 30 06:56:48 MDT 2010

Dear Bob:

I replaced the OEM half-shafts with the Revington TR up-rated slider units
last year. They have eliminated some of the drive-line slop and took care of
an irritating low-frequency vibration. I highly recommend them. I'm now
having my carbs rebuilt by Paltech so am taking the opportunity to eliminate
the rest of the clunking while the vehicle is out of service.

When I took my diff apart, I could see that as I turned the pinion with both
sub axles under load (as in a straight, standing start), the smaller
differential/spider gears would "walk" and then slide on the shaft pin and
hit the carrier with a "thump". There is apparently too much clearance
between the gears and carrier; the current .060 shims (worn to .050) are
insufficient. My plan is to use thicker shims as supplied by TR to take up
this excessive clearance. As a result, the spider gears should make better,
and slightly different contact than they had been. Anyway, that's my theory
at this time!

Brian