[6pack] carb problems

Greg Tatarian gtwincams at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 16:27:50 MDT 2010

Hello,
This is a long-running debate, and I'd like to add my 2 cents.

Having rebuilt about 7 pairs of ZS carbs for Triumphs and Lotuses, and
having in the past worked on a number of SU carbs for my cars and for
other people, I'd say each has their own strengths and weaknesses, and
that the problems with ZS carbs are usually related to lack of
maintenance, which sometimes results in wear that can't easily be
compensated for.

Specifically, the air valve assembly and the body of the carb are
matched during manufacture, but a bad diaphram, bad air cleaners, high
mileage, or lack of maintenance can cause the tolerances to increase to
where the performance suffers. A common problem is when an owner or
mechanic rebuilds the carbs but swaps the air valves between the bodies.
The bypass and temperature compensating valves are really common problem
components when they go out of adjustment or the gaskets or diaphrams
fail, but when properly maintained and adjusted, both perform their
duties well. Many problems with performance and driveability with TRs
are related to worn linkages, or other smog equipment still left in
place (e.g. coolant temperature vacuum sender in radiator hose. A pretty
good range of needles is available, but not as many as SU. The ZS are
shorter, so can fit tight spaces better than most SUs.

I run ZS carbs on my Elan and my TR6, have rebuilt them (and spare
sets), and maintain them, and performance is great. Having said that, I
haven't tested any motors on a dyno to compare properly tuned SUs vs. ZSs.

Cheers,
Greg Tatarian
1971 Lotus Elan S4
1974 Triumph TR6