[6pack] Carburetor problems?

John North johncnorth at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 04:54:39 MDT 2010

Thanks for the help, Dick...

The A/F monitor is showing rich at all speeds.   The only time it
differs is when I floor it at low rpms in any gear when it goes off
the chart at lean.   I have a sensor on each exhaust pipe and a switch
to check each carb, they both show almost the same, one might be a
hair leaner.

I will change the dashpot oil and check the springs.   I think i have
some spares.   Also will check advance.

John

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 2:37 AM, Sally or Dick Taylor
<tr6taylor at webtv.net> wrote:
> John---Does the A/F monitor show full rich only at idle speeds? If so, does
the monitor then recover into the rich area after rpm picks up? I need this
info to give more help! Meanwhile, I'll just guess as to the problem and
possible solutions.

> a) The air valves are flying open because the oil in the dashpots is too
thin.

> b) The springs that help to keep the airvalve from coming up too fast are
either missing or weak.

> c) One carburetor is running too lean, but the monitor is sensing richness
because the other one is too rich. (Measure the diameter of the needles right
where they exit the air valves. They should be identical.

> d) While the needles may be too rich at idle, they are not thin enough just
off idle. (Your monitor is showing you the lean condition)