[6pack] Mystery part

ed bratt at sasktel.net
Sat Jul 31 21:58:08 MDT 2010

Michael:

> Ed, how well would it work as a spring clip if it were 1/8" thick, as Bob
> says? Most spring retainer clips of the type you describe that I've seen
> are nominally around 1/32" thick, and typically have the ears bent at the
> bottom to hold the clip in place.

It was just a guess.  From the information given, it was stated to be "ABOUT
1/8 inch ", so I safely assumed within the given parameters that it could be
much thinner.  I did not go for the spacer option because of the formed
shape of it.  It appears to be made to arch over something, whereas spacers
usually have a flat bearing surface.

I have never seen a part like the one shown.  It could very well be a part
from some other make and model, and not a TR6 part at all.  Maybe the parts
packer just had it laying around and disposed of it by stuffing it in Bob's
parts bag.

The closest part  that I have seen on some TR6 models is a "open sided
washer" spacer at the top rear of each chassis side rail..  It is made of
aluminum, and the purpose of it appears to be there to provide Galvanic
action necessary for establishing corosion between the steel body and the
steel chassis rail.

Ed Bratt
Regina, Saskatchewan

1976 TR6
1970 TR6 without motor or transmission (and is for sale).