[6pack] curious dizzy

Sally or Dick Taylor tr6taylor at webtv.net
Sun Jul 18 13:38:08 MDT 2010

Dave---To get the timing close enough to where the engine should run without all of the drama you now see, try the following:

Turn the engine over to where the pointer on the timing cover is right at the "0" mark on the pulley. (If in doubt as to whether #1 or #6 should be ready to fire, you can take off the valve cover and see whether #1 valves or #6 valves are closed.) You want the engine to where #1 cylinder is the one that should be ready to fire.

With the engine stopped at #1, the rotor tip should be pointed right at, or very close to the #1 spark plug wire in the distributor cap.  IF...you were running with points, they would be just ready to open, with the rotor running CCW. I don't know exactly where the Pertronics signal would be, but it's the same idea.

I don't think you're 180 out, but easy enough to check, by moving all the plug wires the same 180. Setting the timing as in the paragraph above should tell you where you're at.

Sending the distributor back to the one who overhauled it may prove futile. The solution is most likely in the final installation and timing.

Dick