[6pack] cluster master cylinder question

George Loriot george_loriot at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 6 05:59:18 MDT 2010

Hi Listers,I have a more or less stock 76 TR6 daily driver and there's an odd
thing with the clutch master cylinder - it doesn't release all the way.  The
pushrod has about 3/8" slack before it hits the piston.  There's a tiny bit of
play at the point where the pushrod connects to the pedal, but the slack is
really due to the cylinder piston not returning to fully released.  The result
is that the clutch point is  only about 1" from the floor and it makes
shifting stiff.  The slave pushrod has almost to play, and is in the center
hole of the release lever thingy.
For the first few years I owned the car, the clutch point was high and the
shifts were easy, with no drag at all.  This 'low clutch point' has been going
on for awhile, but other TR6 issues have kept me busy.  Now I want to fix this
and am asking the wisdom of the list if they've seen this before.  Is this
something that requires bleeding?  I haven't touched t he clutch of linkage in
the 10 years/50K miles I've had the car.  Except I recently replaced the slave
pushrod with an adjustable one to see if that would help.  It didn't.Am I
crazy or can the master piston get stuck in it's bore partway toward release?
I've had no fluid leaks in the clutch hydraulics.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
George Loriot1976 TR6