[6pack] If it's not carbs ... it's the alternator

John North johncnorth at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 20:19:42 MDT 2010

So I got the spare carbs rebuilt, installed them, balanced, tuned.
Bypass valve functioning, no miss.   Hallelujah.

But the alternator is showing 17 volts.   Same at the battery and the
alternator.   Increase rpms and the voltage climbs more.   I assume
the internal regulator somehow freaked out.   Moss sells two regulator
types for the different alternators and references them by a 5 digit
number.   My car is a '76 CF54900U, but I cannot find any numbers on
the alternator.   It is a Lucas, has a thick brown, thin brown and
brown/yellow wire.   Air pump has been removed (Moss references one
alternator as being for the car with no air pump - not sure why that
makes a difference at the alternator).

Haven't worked on an alternator before - is it a simple matter to
replace the regulator?   Any clues about where to find the numbers, or
which one I should use?

Any help appreciated, I am gearing up for the Mad Dogs show next week
(Kalamazoo. Michigan) and really want to get this back on the road...

John North