[6pack] Quick Ratio Steering

Sally or Dick Taylor tr6taylor at webtv.net
Fri Jan 22 16:28:39 MST 2010

The (not so) mystery of what was in the Big Brown Box from VB ended Christmas
morning. It was as hoped, the new rack & pinion steering that I had asked Mrs.
Claus for.
I installed it about three weeks ago, and so here is my tale:

I would like to hear from those of you who have one of these on your TR6, or
have some seat time with one.  As you know, the original R&P has a ratio of
3.5 turns with the steering wheel to go lock-to-lock. The Quick Ratio is 2.5
turns lock-to-lock.  I had expected around 30% more effort to turn the wheels,
but find that it's at least double this amount. Very noticeable when turning
(sharp) corners at slow speed.
Changing lanes and such doesn't require that much more effort, in fact it
feels very good. There is a heaviness here that makes the car feel well
planted. Still, I didn't think this was "right", so I called Victoria British
and asked to speak to someone in their tech dept (which is another story).
Eventually I got a call back and explained again what I found. I had asked
that someone try other QR units on the shelf to compare. To shorten this
story, no conclusion was reached, but they said they'd send me another unit if
the one I have doesn't loosen up, if I wished, quoting their six month return
policy.

Any thoughts?

Dick