[6pack] Suspension bushings

Robert M. Lang lang at isis.mit.edu
Tue Oct 13 09:28:52 MDT 2009

Hi,

Unless "forever" is 10 years or less, there's a pretty good likelyhood
that the job will need doing again in the future.

That said, the rubber parts that we get and that we've been getting for
some time (like the last 15 years) seem to have problems dealing with the
environment (like UV light and ozone) and they deteriorate pretty quickly
as compared to the original parts did.

At any rate, I'm a fan or non-rubber parts based on longevity, not just
the benfits of a more solid mounting points. So no matter what you do, use
urethane upper control arm bushings as the min.

To your question, I like urethane for the rear bushings as they get rid of
a lot of compliance "issues" that the rubber has. The main thing when
replacning the bushings - no matter what you end up using - is that you
maintain the proper dimensions with the replacement parts. What this means
is that if you use urethane, make sure the steel sleeves are the same
length as the sleeves you take out and make sure that the sleeves are cut
SQUARE. I've seen a lot of these parts with the steel sleeves dimensions
all over the place and the will effect how they work when you install
them. I like delrin even more, but some folks think that effects the
transmission of road noise more than the rubber. I disagree, but this is
opinion and we can stop that discussion there.

There are harder rubber bushings available, that might be a resonable
compromise, but the comments above still hold. Make sure the dimensions
are right before you install of you get no benefit from doing the parts
replacement.

regards,
rml