[6pack] Front End Rebuild Questions

Foster, Stan (HP IT) stan.foster at hp.com
Mon Oct 12 15:38:24 MDT 2009

Jeff, I media blasted all my suspension parts then etch primed and painted. I
find POR15 a bit thick for some applications (I did my frame with it) and just
used black paint on the suspension. I think the prep will be more important
than the final finish. I stripped everything down but stopped short of
removing the axle from the vertical link. I just wrapped it in masking tape to
escape the alox.

Ball joints vary depending on where you get them. I started with TRF ball
joints but they locked up solid when the front end was off the ground and I
didn't like that despite assurances from TRF that this was normal so I
switched to some ball joints from Moss which swiveled regardless of whether
the wheels were on the ground or not. I still have the TRF ball joints and I
may revisit that decision this winter.

When operating by hand any new ball joint should be a bit stiff.

Stan