[6pack] speedometer issue

mjmullin at juno.com mjmullin at juno.com
Fri Nov 13 04:47:24 MST 2009

I had the exact same problem recently (detailed in an upcoming issue of the
6-PACK newsletter?).  I also had an angle drive (OD only) problem that
complicated things.  Tried all sorts of diagnostics, (cable turned fine
unhooked from speedo during a road test) but it boiled down to the fact that
the speedo drive end of the cable was too short (approx 1/4 inch) and not
adequately driving the speedo...if you take it out of the sheath at the speedo
end you'll see what I mean.  Various listers indicated the questionable
quality of replacement parts, so I lengthened the cable (a little bit) with JB
Weld, and filed it to the correct square shape. Now about 5/16 inch long.
It's lasted 1400 miles to Jersey and back.  Listers also warned about screwing
up the speedo if the cable is too long (that's the reported problem with the
replacement part), so don't go overboard.
Hope this helps, Matt