[6pack] Baby Seat in a TR6?

ed bratt at sasktel.net
Sat Jun 27 21:06:58 MDT 2009

Ken:

Some Americans used to call Canada, "Soviet Canuckistan", because it had
become such a left leaning nanny state.  I am afraid many Americans will
have to eat their words..  Although seat belt laws vary provice by province
(and territory) we can (must) use a rear facing child seat for children
under 20 lbs;  and children should ride in a front facing child seat if
between 20 and 40 lbs; however, a tether strap must be used with
front-facing car seats. The tether strap prevents the seat from being thrown
forward or sideways in a crash.

Children over 40 pounds (18 kg) must wear a seatbelt. The law does not
currently require the use of a booster seat. However, a booster seat is the
best way to ensure the child is travelling safely. Research shows that
booster seats lower the risk of injury by 60 per cent compared to seatbelts
alone.

If your vehicle has only three seatbelts and you are transporting more than
three adults, the fourth adult may legally ride without a belt. If one of
your passengers is under 16, you must have that young person take one of the
seats that is equipped with a seatbelt.   Two children may be belted in a
single seat belt.

So, if you were here in Soviet Canuckistan, you could legally belt two
children over 40 lbs into your TR6 passsenger seat.

Exception:  You do not have to wear a seatbelt if your vehicle was not
originally equipped with them. "This exception does not apply widely since
all vehicles have been manufactured with seatbelts since the early 1970s".

Many emigration?  Or relocation?  Of course laws will vary greatly state by
state.

Ed Bratt
Regina, Saskatchewan
1976 TR6