[6pack] speedometer drive

Bob Rochlin r_rochlin at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 27 10:29:10 MDT 2009

Hi List,   I figured out the problem with my speedometer pinion gear.   I
recalled that the guy who sold me the O/D told me that the rear case on my
overdrive came from and Austin Healy 3000.  It is apparently the same as an A
type in  in every respect except, wait for it, the speedometer pinion.
Apparently the speedometer pinion is longer on an AH 3000 O/D.  I was able to
get things working by machining (read grinding) off a little bit of the pinion
bearing carrier so I could set the bearing carrier about a 1/4 inch deeper
into the O/D housing allowing the pinion to be engaged by the angle drive.
The hole for the bolt retainer doesn't line up, but small price to pay to get
the bits to fit. What I can't figure out is why it worked so well for 6 years
the way it was...  BTW my first thought was to get AH parts to get things
right.  Not only is the pinion gear not available form Moss, but the angle
drive for the O/D is $275.00 as compared to $43.00 for the Triumph part.  Take
care.            Bob Rochlin  '72 Tr6