[6pack] A type overdrive speedometer gear problem

Bob Rochlin r_rochlin at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 26 13:11:05 MDT 2009

Hi list,   About a month ago my speedometer stopped working.  After some
searching I found that the speedo gear in the A type overdrive was not
engaging the angle gear.  Further looking showed that the speedometer gear was
able to withdraw into the bearing enough the disengage the angel drive shaft.
Checking my other transmission (non overdrive) I found that the orange
speedometer gear was snug against the side of the transmission casing opposite
where the bearing enters the transmission case when installed.  This is
definitely not the case with the overdrive speedo gear.  There is a good 3/16
of play in the speedo gear when installed, even when the bearing housing
pushed in past where securing bolt depression in the bearing is.     I'm
baffled, the  overdrive transmission speedometer ran perfectly for 6 years
until this failure.  As far as I can determine there is no spacer or thrust
washer that should be in the transmission casing or on the speedometer gear.
What Am I missing here?     Thanks in advance for your help.
Bob Rochlin'72 TR6