[6pack] Rockers or Rollers?

Sally or Dick Taylor tr6taylor at webtv.net
Sat Jan 31 00:30:24 MST 2009

Janah---It would probably more costly to get your rockers rebushed than purchasing new (stock) ones. Take a look at the rocker shaft, as these usually wear out quicker than the rockers. (Measure the shaft, or move the shaft down into an unworn area to see if it feels less loose). Stock rockers can give many miles of good service, and are a good bet. As others have wrote, the rollers are mostly for changing the ratio, and or part of a high performance cam go-along. There are some side benefits for these that can reduce valve guide wear.

I'm guessing that the "clatter" you hear is not really "tappet" or cam follower noise, but some looseness in the rocker and shaft, along with flattening in the face of the rocker tips. Check the valve lash to be sure you can't adjust out of this.

The pedestals can last "forever". And the springs between the rockers can do a good job. Spacers in their stead do little if any to improve performance. Marketing claims for these spacers say they reduce friction. I would think keeping the rocker tip to valve stem more consistant and would be a more valid point for race engines. I have no way of proving or disproving any of this rambling!

Dick