[6pack] Compression Ratios TR250 Heads

Navarrette, Vance vance.navarrette at intel.com
Tue Jan 27 16:46:04 MST 2009

	Darrell:

	Keep your current head, even though compression will go to 9.7:1.

	Your current head will give you more torque, more high end and better fuel
economy - and it does not affect drivability or idle quality. You can even run
regular unleaded. If you engine does not already have them, add hardened valve
seats to the exhaust valves. If your block is decked, then these benefits are
enhanced with no downside. The only downside to increased compression is
increased NOx emissions, and if it is high enough the need for premium fuel.
9.7:1 should still run just fine on regular.
	Your drivability issues are all driven by the health of your engine (rings,
valve guides, carbs, etc) and the camshaft. If you cannot get a good idle, and
you are certain the rest of your engine is healthy (no blown head gaskets, no
vacuum leaks, valve lash is good, etc) then your cam is the thing to look at.
	As for a stock cam, I am not certain about the TR250, but I believe that it
used the 240 degree cam used in the early TR6s. Instead of this cam, I would
use the cam used in the later TR6s, the 256 degree cam (both used 110 degree
lobe centers). Both cams will give you a velvety smooth idle, but the later
cam is good for about 20 HP over the earlier cam. Both cams return good fuel
economy and are very tolerant of vacuum leaks and other minor problems.

	All in my humble opinion, of course....

	Vance

    Vance Navarrette
    Cogito Ergo Zoom