[6pack] rear axle lub

PeterSchop at aol.com PeterSchop at aol.com
Sun Jan 25 12:50:32 MST 2009

Bob,

It is my understanding that GL5 has additives that will over time eat away
the bronze washers and synchros in the diff and trans. When I drained the gear
lube out of my diff on the 6, there was a sludge floating on the top which  I
believe was the dissolved bronze washers. You can buy GL4 from TRF in  quart
bottles. NAPA carries it also.

Peter Schoppelry

Bob writes:

Hello,

I am looking at the specs for the rear  axle lubricants and they specify GL4
90
EP.

Is GL4 still required for  6 components and std gearbox or can I use a
synthetic such as Mobil 1 75-90  GL5?

Thanks,

Bob

steps!