[6pack] Petronix vs. staying with points

Robert Liam Gannon trsix74 at comcast.net
Sun Jan 25 07:11:52 MST 2009

In all the years I owned my TR6 I was let down once using the petronix
system. I liked the fact that once installed, you never had to worry. In my
case of failure, the crown which holds the six magnets, separated at the
seam and the magnets jumped and clustered together. The chances of that
happening are one in a million, so guess who got it. Wish I was that lucky
with the Powerball Lottery.

Having said that, Petronix acknowledged the defect and replaced the unit for
free. I never had a further issue.

When I completed the restoration on my TR3 I put a petronix unit into the
original distributor. It ran great. I heard about a new product Petronix was
making. It was a copy of the Lucas unit, but set up with a more smoother
curve. I installed it in my TR3 and, oh what a difference. Yes you can see
there is a slight difference in looks as the original cap has the spark club
wires coming in from the side, where as the new unit the cap is the top
mounted push on wire style. Still my TR3 is not concourse, but looks great,
runs great and is a thrill to drive. I can't wait till April to drive it
again.

Again guys, just my opinion.