[6pack] clutch slave cylinder recommendation

Navarrette, Vance vance.navarrette at intel.com
Fri Jan 23 10:26:35 MST 2009

 	Ian:

	My experience is now over 3 years old, but here is what I found. I ordered a
replacement from Moss, and while it looked compatible it was not because its
butt was too large to fit through the hole in the mounting plate. For some
reason, the replacement had "bulges" cast into it where the bleed nipple and
the hydraulic line attached, which made it too fat. I could have taken a
grinder to it and made it fit, but I said "No".
	I then ordered another replacement after explaining why the first one did not
fit. The second slave I got did not have the bulges, so it fit into the
mounting hole, but the mounting ears on the slave had been machined on the
transmission side rather than the engine side. The side of the mounting ears
that attached to the mounting plate were therefore not flat, and the slave sat
in a shifted position towards the rear of the car relative to the old one. A
additional minor annoyance was the fact that due to the machined surfaces on
the ears being visible, it looked as though I had incorrectly installed the
slave even though in fact it was correct.
	In the end I didn't use the second slave either. I took it back and ordered a
slave rebuild kit instead. I purchased a brake cylinder hone from the auto
parts store for a couple of bucks, and then honed my original and rebuilt it
instead of replacing it. Rebuilding it is trivial (a seal and a dust boot),
took all of 10 minutes, and fit correctly. If you are anal about it, you can
paint it too.
	I hope by now Moss has rectified all of this and only carries a correct
replacement for the original Lockheed. But I would say that the only way to
know that your slave will fit properly is to rebuild it instead of replacing
it. Given the finicky nature of the TR6 clutch, I would avoid anything that is
not totally correct when conducting repairs on that part of the car.

	Vance

    Vance Navarrette
    Cogito Ergo Zoom
    I think, therefore I go fast