[6pack] Welding Helmet Question

Hugh Barber tr6nut at verizon.net
Thu Jan 22 17:17:37 MST 2009

With regards to "cheaper = overseas junk", it is not necessarily true
that spending more will equal domestically-made goods or goods of a
higher quality.  With today's outsourcing fever, you are just as likely
to get junk from the "name" companies as you are likely to get from
"no-name" companies.  I think back to the pet food problem of a year or
so ago.  Those who were spending extra dollars on supposedly better pet
food from companies like Science Diet found out (too late) that those
companies were buying the same basic ingredients from the same Chinese
sources as Wal-Mart was buying for their bottom-dollar pet food.  It
seems to me that many companies today are willing to risk their good
reputation in exchange for higher profits.  Don't even get me started on
screen doors - when I was a kid, our screen door lasted 15 years. Seems
you can't buy one today that lasts more than 15 months.  Even if you
want to pay more, they just aren't available. Stepping off soap-box now.....

Hugh Barber
Stafford, Va
'73 TR6