[6pack] Welding Helmet Question

Glenn Rattmann k6na at cts.com
Thu Jan 22 16:22:31 MST 2009

Bob, I'm not a welder, and I don't play one on TV.  But I would think
about the risk of counterfeit goods from overseas (you know where I mean).

These guys are everywhere in the marketplace.  For them, it's all
about price.  It's not about safety, or meeting specs.  The US
government is overwhelmed by imported stuff and really can't enforce
standards like we might wish.

Part of the counterfeiting process is the false labeling, not just
the inferior materials or methods.  It's easy to make a label that
says "meets ANSI standard so-and-so", or "Grade 8 Bolt", or
whatever.  I know nothing about the auto-darkening process, but maybe
the switching time you mentioned is subject to some variables which
have to be controlled tightly during material-sourcing AND
manufacture.  Who is controlling that, if it comes from Asia?

With the global environment, I have become a more careful consumer in
critical applications.   With my eyes, I wouldn't take any
chances.  I would go to a big-name US supplier of welding accessories
and buy a high quality US-made version of the helmet, even if I used
it only once a year.  Bonus-- your purchase might help some guy in
Ohio keep his job in a small factory....

By the way, the counterfeiting of fasteners has been a huge business
for about 20-25 years now.  I think about that every time I get on an
airplane and wonder if the AN hardware is really AN.

--Glenn/74.5 TR6s
San Diego