[6pack] Overdrive controller

Terry Geiger tgeiger at GeigerGarage.com
Mon Jan 19 13:23:44 MST 2009

Vance,

Volvo 240's used the J type overdrive.  The electrics consisted of a
momentary contact switch, a lockout switch, and a relay.  It worked as you
desribed. When you got the car in 4th gear, you would push the momentary
contact switch in the center of the gearshift and ovedrive would engage.
The lockout switch prevented the ovedrive from engaging in any gear but 4th.
The relay was a "holding" relay that would hold the circuit as long as it
was enegergized.  It worked great, anytime you shifted out of 4th the
overdrive was disengaged and would stay that way until the car was in 4th
gear and the momentary contact switch was pushed again. If you could pull
the circuit diagrams for one of those cars it would probably give you some
insight into circuit design save you some time.  Also, I see no reason the
Volvo relay could not be used.  Coming up with a momentary action stalk
switch would be the tricky part.

I'm going to look into as my wife's Herald progresses.  I have Spitfire
engine and overdrive gearbox that is going into the Herald and I would like
to wire it so that is not confusing for her to drive.

Terry Geiger
www.GeigerGarage.com