[6pack] welding question

James F Juhas james.f.juhas at snet.net
Fri Jan 9 08:36:00 MST 2009

I would remove the coating where the weld will be.  The gases that will
be expelled are toxic, and with good ventilation, may not pose a serious
threat, but there's no reason to risk it.  the coating may lead to weld
impurities that would weaken the weld, but again, probably not too much
a risk in this application.  Like most of us amateur weldors, you're
going to over-weld anyway, no doubt.  But since the coating will burn
off anyway, I would remove it first to avoid both potential problems.

I once bought a canopy from a man at Carlisle.  The fittings he made to
put the poles together were made from electrical conduit, also
galvanized.  It was obvious from his welds that he never took the time
to remove the toxic zinc before welding.  He appeared to not be in the
best of health.

I've wanted to buy another canopy, but he hasn't been back for several
years now.

--

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of james_f_juhas.vcf]