[6pack] Stupid Question on Points.

Robert Lang lang at isis.mit.edu
Wed Aug 12 10:51:50 MDT 2009

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009, Ken Davis wrote:

> Brain freeze.   plus poor prior planning.
>
> Got my beast running again -sort of.   Was running, but points were very worn
> and almost unadjustable.   Carefully removed them but did not pay attention
> to the order of plastic insulators and wires...
>
> Starting from the base...
>
> A plastic insulator
> Then the spring
> Then the 2 wires
> then the other insulator
> then the bolt...
>

> is this right???

It's "right" when everything is connected and the points are open that
there is no path to ground when you put your ohm meter on the input to the
points. Or your test light.

But to your question - "it sounds right", although I _think_ you want the
two wires on top of the upper insulator.

It's right when there's a path to ground when the points are closed and no
path to ground when the points open.

I must have fixed this 20 or 30 times when my Dad or my brother tried
doing a "tune-up" back inthe day. They'd get it wrong every time.
Eventually, they just called me and asked me to do the job.

:-)

> Thanks
>

> Ken

regards,