[6pack] Time to Mill the Head & Deck the Block

John Cyganowski janah at att.net
Sat Aug 8 04:28:13 MDT 2009

All-

We are getting ready to plane the head and deck the block. The objective is
to take it up to 9.5:1.

The shop did a test fit of the new pistons into the block the other day to
see where we are for deck height. (Oh Baby!) So we are at -0.014.

What are the pros and cons of zero decking the block? I can think of:

1. More money (what else is new?)
2. The block is done (can't plane it again for another rebuild).

I know I will lose the block serial number if I deck it.  I plan to restamp
it. Anyone know what size/style font?

Somewhere I heard someone say that the combustion characteristics were
better with a zero decked block? Anyone want to defend that one?

So right now it looks as though I will take 0.048-0.053" off the head.
Anything else I may have missed here?