[6pack] Gunst Bearing Experiences?

Sally or Dick Taylor tr6taylor at webtv.net
Sun Apr 5 13:28:48 MDT 2009

By using a "+..005" oversized washer, I set my thrust washer clearance for a total of .003, which is tighter than  "recommended" That was around 60,000 miles ago. The last time I checked this, about 10,000 miles ago, the clearance was indicated at .005. Because of this history, I seriously doubt that the nominal preload as Mr. Gunst recommended will cause any premature failure. Likewise, doubling the preload should have a minimal effect, given the total weight of the crankshaft and the force necessary to move it.
I like your idea of just listening to see if you can hear any sound coming from the clutch-to-bearing interface. As you noted, t's easy enough to add preload.

Nelson and I exchanged quite a bit of info on the dreaded clutch squeal that was taking place about 7-10 years ago. I'm glad he documented this effort! I wish he were still in the Triumph hobby!

Dick