[6pack] Silicone Fluid

Navarrette, Vance vance.navarrette at intel.com
Thu Sep 25 10:43:38 MDT 2008

        John:

        I don't think that the controversy will ever die. I will say that the
DOT standards require backwards compatibility for the most part, and if the
lubricating properties were markedly inferior, it does not seem likely that
DOT would approve the stuff. But that is just my opinion...
        I can say that I converted the TR6 brakes and clutch to DOT 5 when I
restored my car, and so I never had to flush out the old stuff because
everything including the brakes lines were new.
        On my mini (NON TR6 CONTENT ALERT!!!) I simply flushed with DOT 5
(expensive, but I did not know what else to do) until the brake fluid was
purple out of the bleed nipples, and never looked back. The rear slave
cylinders were new, and the MC was rebuilt, but the brakes lines still had
DOT4 in them. So far no issues, and the brakes really rock. Firm pedal, etc.
        As always, your mileage may vary. But I have been very happy with the
conversion.

        Vance

    Vance Navarrette
    Cogito Ergo Zoom