[6pack] New Engine AUTOpsy

Ruffner, James A *HS JAR7U at hscmail.mcc.virginia.edu
Tue Sep 9 11:27:44 MDT 2008

Oil pressure is set by a relief valve that is composed of a spring and ball
bearing that are inside of a drilling.  This is a separate device, much like
that in an OD unit, and is adjustable in some engines.  For these, there is a
bolt that presses on one end of the spring, with the ball bearing at the other
end of the spring.  As oil pressure rises in the main oil gallery the pressure
forces the ball away from the opening, which in turn allows the oil to escape
back into the sump.

Pressure is determined by the "k" value of the spring (k = spring constant.)
If the spring weakens over time (not uncommon in old engines), its k value
drops, and oil pressure also drops.  I've seen in the past TRF advertize these
springs as well as the complete unit.

It is possible for some, and perhaps all, of the oil ports to be clogged, but
you will still see normal oil pressure.  But this is pretty unlikely.