[6pack] Axle Grease - How Much to Use?

Sally or Dick Taylor tr6taylor at webtv.net
Wed Sep 3 16:16:12 MDT 2008

List---Dale's post about "Axle Grease" is not included in my last reply, which
was stripped because it was "too long." I didn't save my original reply, but
let's try it again...

Having a grease fitting on the half shafts can't be all bad, but I would
question if one should rely soley on this method. Since these splines don't
readily spread its grease, the only way to check the splines by using a
central fitting would be to assemble these shafts dry, give them several
shots, and disassemble them. Maybe this has already been done by someone?

Older IRS Triumphs had the style of halfshafts that were "sealed" with a nut
on the outer end. If this is what's now being provided for the TR6, be aware
that there might not be a major key/keyway on these shafts. If so, it will be
necessary to watch the orientation of the yokes during reassembly.

Dick