[6pack] Pedal Box dismantling and discovery

Andrew Packard apackard68 at comcast.net
Sat May 31 17:50:30 MDT 2008

Hi everyone!

I was putting a load of parts together today to take to the powder coater on
Monday.  My parts I am sending include the oil pan, the timing chain cover,
the motor mount brackets, the clutch and brake pedals and the pedal box.
I'm not sure if the oil pan and timing chain cover can be powder coated due
to heat exposure, but I'll see what they say.  I bought a new bushing kit
for the pedal shaft some time ago, so I expected to see worn steel bushings
inside the tube part of the pedals.  Instead, I found some deteriorated
unidentified non-metal material that was intended to limit the play of the
pivot area on the shaft.  I'm glad I have the steel bushings that press into
the pedal units to tighten up the pedal performance.  If anyone ever
considered doing this as a repair or performance improvement, taking the
pedal box apart is very straight forward and I think you can press in the
bushings with a regular bench vise.

I have about two weeks to get my body back from the body shop, so I'm
closing in on having my rolling chassis ready to receive it.  Hopefully,
there aren't any major delays between now and my scheduled delivery.

Andy