[6pack] Upgrading Nuts - Stainless vs Grade 5

Greg Dito dito9561 at bellsouth.net
Sat May 31 13:37:01 MDT 2008

Corey,

When I rebuilt my chassis and suspension I replaced just about every nut,
bolt and washer with Grade 8 hardware from the local Fastenal supplier
(NFI).  You can purchase exactly what you need at a lower unit cost than
most other places, including your local hardware store.  But frankly, you
should not buy hardware from there anyway as the quality is not up to the
standard that a specialized fastener distributor can provide.

Zinc is intended to become the oxidized surface over time, kind of the
sacrificial lamb, thus protecting the the steel from the same fate.  If you
want to prevent the zinc from oxidizing then the only avenue I know of is to
spray a few coats of clear enamel over the exposed parts using a piece of
plastic from 1 litre soda bottles with a hole cut to size to act as a mask.
A pain in the tail but it works great.

I would never use stainless steel on anything subject to high stress (i.e.
engine and suspension).  Maybe overkill but stainless will also eventually
oxidize so the tradeoff is not worth it in my opinion.

Greg Dito
CD6250L