[6pack] Emissions Test

Bob Danielson 75TR6 at tr6.danielsonfamily.org
Wed May 28 14:08:59 MDT 2008

One of the things I've been curious about since converting to TBI was how it
impacted my emissions. Back when I first got the car in 1997 I had to take
it through Connecticut emissions just once and it passed with all the smog
equipment still on the car. That test made it road worthy for enough years
to have the age exemptions kick in and it no longer needed to get tested.
Since then most of the smog equipment has failed and been removed from the
car. So the other day I stopped at an emissions test station and asked if
they would test the car. A simple enough task......or so you would think.
You can read about the process here
http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/EmissionsTest.htm along with the results.

Bottom line they ended up testing it against 1984 standards and I passed 2
of the 3, only failing the CO test. I found the '75 standards but they're
all in grams/mile while the new tests are in parts/million. So we're really
comparing apples to oranges. Luckily I'm exempt but if I wasn't, we probably
could have a new chip programmed and flashed to get the car through.

Bob

Bob Danielson
1975 TR6 CF38503U
Running w/ Throttle Body Injection