[6pack] Clutch Master Cylinder diameters

Sally or Dick Taylor tr6taylor at webtv.net
Mon May 12 13:46:10 MDT 2008

 Sloane---Yes, the '69 is supposed to be stiffer, due to the larger CMC
bore. But not so much that driving a TR with the smaller bore.seems odd.
If you haven't "looked at" the clutch fork pin lately I'd suspect that
it is broken, as this can cause a heavy feel right at the bottom of the
pedal stroke. If you want to actually measure the pedal pressure
necessary to disengage the clutch, give me a shout and I'll pass the
method on to you.

Dick

 From: im_sloane at hotmail.com(im sloane)

Interesting thread, but I don't quite follow the specs. The clutch on my
69 has always been very stiff, which after 20+ years I really like. The
clutch on my brother's 73 is almost (for lack of a better description)
Toyota'ish. I have difficulty getting my left leg to release his clutch
because I'm so used to mine.

So, is a 69 'suppose' to have such a stiff clutch because of this
difference in the bore? I've had both ends replaced but I have no idea
what size I have. If the .75's are rare, I'd be surprised if that's what
I actually still have.
Sloane :)
69-Six> >

Mike---You discovered why Triumph changed from the .75 to the .70, that>
is pushing more fluid takes more pedal pressure to activate the clutch.>
One of the tradeoffs for using the smaller bore is that there isn't
much> room for play in the pedal box linkage before the clutch won't>
completely disengage. This may be an area that you'll want to tighten
up> before going back to the .70 MC.> > There is also supposed to be
different fittings for the two MC output> pipes.> > Dick>