[6pack] Green stuff brake pads

Sally or Dick Taylor tr6taylor at webtv.net
Sun May 11 19:09:31 MDT 2008

John M.---It's possible that your discs have worn more on the outer
edges. (From more rotational speed) The old pads may have worn to match
this taper. New pads, which are "square", could be dragging on their
edges. Measure the pads you took out to see if they're worn tapered. If
so, the new pads will run in before long. Otherwise, a truing of the
discs could be in order.

You can sort of test this theory as to what may be going on. With the
car stopped, or slightly moving, turn your steering wheel from L to R
and R to L. This should knock the pads back so they don't drag when
tested with the next drive.

Dick

 From: jmitch at snet.net(John Mitchell)

      I just replaced my old green stuff brake pads with new
ones. Then new ones came with what is called a break in coating and
rubber type anti squeal pads that are applied to the back. With the old
ones I used the steel anti squeal shims. I just went for a ride and I
can hear them lightly scuffing the sides if disc which goes away with
increasing speed. I never noticed this with the old pads when new.
There's no squeal, just the scuffing sound. Is this the sound of the
break in coating and does it just have to be driven a while for it to go
away? Thanks again, John Mitchell 76 Tr6