[6pack] unleaded fuel

Robert Lang lang at isis.mit.edu
Fri May 9 13:54:27 MDT 2008

On Fri, 9 May 2008, John VanNorman wrote:

> I just noticed this thread on the 6-Pack website.  I'll be honest, I
> never knew this:
>
> http://www.6-pack.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=37566#37566

Me niether.

That's because I don't believe that it's accurate that Triumph "switched"
to hardened valve seats.

As far as running unleaded, my car had over 90k miles of unleaded
REGULAR. No valve recession 'till my distributor got flakey and I had
ignition on run-down... burned a couple of valves (but it sounded kool!).
I'm at 9.5:1 now and run mid-grade fuel (because I run a lot of ignition
advance). No pinking with 91 octane (R+M)/2 method.

I have heads from all years and I have yet to find a hardened seat in a
factory head unless it was installed after the car was in service.

> John V.
> 1974 1/2 TR6

regards,
rml