[6pack] unleaded fuel

Sally or Dick Taylor tr6taylor at webtv.net
Fri May 9 13:45:54 MDT 2008

John V.---I'm not sure of what these guys are talking about, when
writing of the "factory changing of the valve seats". I'm pretty sure
that these seats are an integral part of the head thruout the TR6
models. (They do not have special inserts)
Meanwhile, hardened inserts are available from many of the TR parts
houses. Whether they are necessary is a matter of debate. High revving
engines with heavy valve springs might warrant these inserts, but I've
found no valve seat recession worth noting, when using unleaded fuel for
the last 18 years .

We know that (hgher) octane requirements are
needed for engines that have the higher compression ratios, such as the
early models and those owners who have increased theirs.. The later
models with the 7.75 and 7.5 CRs will operate just fine with 87 oct. if
the ignition timing is correct. The choice of octane does not affect
whether there is going to be valve seat recession.

Dick
E-mail message

 From: jsvannorman at gmail.com(John VanNorman)

I just noticed this thread on the 6-Pack website. I'll be honest, I
never knew this:
http://www.6-pack.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=37566#37566
John V.
1974 1/2 TR6