[6pack] Waterproofing door panels

Navarrette, Vance vance.navarrette at intel.com
Tue May 6 15:14:12 MDT 2008

 	Dave:

	I wanted the moisture barrier to be easily replaced and to fully
protect the trim panel. The original rain curtains let too much water
past, eventually staining and warping the interior trim panel. My method
was to use some never setting rope caulk, 1/8", from the hardware store.
I pre cut a piece of polyethylene sheet using the door panel as a
template. I then applied a line of the rope caulk to the perimeter of
the inside face of the door, and attached the poly by pressing it firmly
against the rope caulk. The rope caulk is just tacky enough that this
works very well.
	I could then install the door trim panel over the poly sheet. If
I ever need to replace the poly sheet, it peels easily off the door, and
removing the caulk is equally convenient since it never sets.

	There are probably better ways to do it, but that is how I did
mine. Only time will tell what the drawbacks are to this method, but it
was a whole lot easier than trying to replace the original rain curtains
inside the door.

	Vance

    Vance Navarrette
    Cogito Ergo Zoom