[6pack] Differential Pinion shaft seal

Hunter, Darcy Darcy_Hunter at Instron.com
Tue May 6 06:31:25 MDT 2008

An update and a question, I am in the middle of refurbishing the rear end of my TR6 with the intention of replacing the trailing arm bushings and differential seals.  As expected, the rust was worse than anticipated and I've now cut-out and cleaned and have prepped 8 new 16 gauge patch panels to
weld in.  Found a guy down the road who welds and will come over and put them all in for $100, cash of course.  That seems like the best approach as I'm a bad welder and worse on my back in tight quarters.  All the associated rear end parts have been cleaned and painted so they are ready to go but I
have a question on the reassembly of the differential pinion seal.  When I took out the pinion seal, there appeared to be some type of funny washer or spacer either behind the seal or it was part of the seal.  Couldn't quite tell because I had the mangle the seal so bad to get it out.  This is not a
flat washer but wavy or almost correlated and aligned in the Z direction.  TRF doesn't show this in the catalog but does talk about a spacer.  Any help is appreciated because I'm getting ready to start the reassembly and hoping to finish in the next 5-6 weeks.  Thanks

Darcy Hunter

'73 TR6

North Easton, MA