[6pack] Carbon on top of pistons - engine experts please help!

apackard68 at comcast.net apackard68 at comcast.net
Sun May 4 17:26:26 MDT 2008

I had engine run-on issues prior to my restoration project, so while the engine was on the stand, I pulled the head to look for carbon deposits on top of the pistons.  I found significant deposits on five of the six.  I used to run an external oil feed but stopped after going through oil at a fast rate (ring problem?).  When I removed the oil feed, oil consumption was greatly reduced but my run on problem was present.  What remedy do I have available to a) clean the pistons and b) prevent the problem from happening again.  I'm assuming that if my engine is put together and broken in correctly, the external oil feed should not contribute to additional oil consumption.  BTW, the engine was rebuilt in late 2005 with new pistons, rings, bearings, etc for .030 over bore.
Thanks in advance for advice you can share.
Andy

You're invited to view these photos online at KODAK Gallery!
Just click on View Photos to get started.
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=zgdfamr.3wbpj6rf&x=0&y=x8ze0k&localeid=en_US
If you'd like to save this album, just sign in, or
if you're new to the Gallery, create a free account. Once you've
signed in, you'll be able to view this album whenever you want
and order Kodak prints of your favorite photos.

Enjoy!
Instructions: Click view photos to begin. If you're
an existing member you'll be asked to sign in. If not, you can
join the Gallery for free.
http://www.kodakgallery.com/Register.jsp

Questions? Visit http://help.kodakgallery.com.

The KODAK Gallery Customer Service Team
Phone: 800-360-9098 / 512-651-9770 Outside of the US and Canada

If you cannot see the links above, copy and paste the
following URL directly into your browser:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=zgdfamr.3wbpj6rf&x=0&y=x8ze0k&localeid=en_US