[6pack] Engine cracks from freezing water

Greg Perry rgperry at earthlink.net
Fri May 2 07:40:52 MDT 2008

   Joe,
   I  have  not  lived up north, so I don't know about the harsh winters.
   After  some  sleep,  I  remember  that  an  old used car lot salesman/
   /mechanic  bought some 59 Cadillacs for restoration from up north.  He
   discovered  several  years  later  that the blocks were cracked due to
   freezing.   Now  I'm  interested as to where this thread goes.  Thanks
   for the response,  Greg Perry
   Subject: Re: [6pack] Engine cracks from freezing water
   btw, the freeze plugs were intact...go figure,  I was told that during
   a  long  deep  freeze  (Saratoga New York), the engine will freeze and
   thaw  at  different  rates,  somehow  this  predisposes  the  block to
   failures not protected by freeze plugs  Joe