[6pack] Synthetic Oil Engine Damage

Gene Holtzclaw motrv8d at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 9 07:21:18 MST 2008

I once bought a 85 Olds Cutlass with the Oldsmobile 307 that had 85K miles on
it, and the valve covers were leaking. I took the valve covers off to replace
the gaskets, and it was literally like taking the mold off of jello. The
rockers were buried in this mess. A very good friend of mine, a long time
mechanic, advised I not do ANYTHING, but put the covers back on, and change
the oil every 500 miles until the engine was clean, looking down into the oil
fill hole in the valve cover. After 8 oil changes, I took the valve covers
back off, and the engine was spotless!!! I used Havoline 30W in doing this. I
drove that car until it had right at 150k miles, and it was still running
good. Sold it to someone here locally, and saw the car often for several years
after that.> From: DLylis at aol.com> Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 08:18:58 -0400> To:
bratt at sasktel.net; JAR7U at hscmail.mcc.virginia.edu;
75TR6 at tr6.danielsonfamily.org; triumphs at autox.team.net; 6pack at autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Synthetic Oil Engine Damage> > In a message dated
3/9/2008 12:34:07 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, > bratt at sasktel.net writes:> > A
local mechanic who runs an auto wreckers washes out the crud on resalable >
cars by filling the sump with 15W40 Diesel Spec. oil, and running it for a >
few hundred miles. The extra detergents in the Diesel Oil wash out the >
accumulated crud and sludge. I figured that would be pretty had on the >
bearings and cylinder walls.> > > > What say the list? Lots of LBC owners have
switched to Shell Rotella for > the ZDDP.> > David Lylis> 69 TR6 CC26160L> 60
TR3A TS74461LO> > > > **************It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms, and advice
on AOL Money & > Finance.
(http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolprf00030000000001)>